Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Story

The Story
Friday, September 9th, 3 days overdue, feeling actually quite wonderful, I woke up at 4am to what I thought was a painful contraction.  I sat in bed till about 4:15 and after they were coming every 3-5 minutes, still pretty strong, I decided to shower, and start getting ready.  I had a feeling, this was IT.  I even put on mascara, because heaven forbid I look as bad as I did with Braxton:)  About 5 am, I woke Ricky up, and said I had been having painful and strong contractions for the last hour, and that he better get up, we were going to the hospital.  So, I called Mandy(sister in law) who conveniently lived across the street, to see if she could come and watch brax(who was still asleep), while we headed off!  One call, no answer.  Started to panic slightly.  Second call, ANSWER!  PHew!  Mandy came over at 5:30am, and shortly thereafter we were OFF!  We got to the hospital around 6am, and at 6:20 was dilated to a 6.  Of course, I called my parents on the way over, and told my dad to meet us there ready for the epideral to go in.  Finally, at 7:20am the epideral was in, I was feeling a lot better, other than the major anxiety and "shakes" I had the entire time.  8:30am rolled around too quickly, and it was time to push. (more anxiety).  I kept thinking to myself, "please, please come, so that I don't push for 2 hours like I did with braxton."  30 minutes went by, 40 minutes, then I was at the hour mark.  I was told I was making progress, and that was comforting.  Right up until about 9:30, when the epideral wore off, and pain was at its PEAK.  I did not want to push anymore.  Every time I pushed, it felt like things were ripping to shreds, stinging and burning.  OUCH.  Somehow, I managed to pull through, when I felt the head make it, a rush of adrenaline kicked in, and I was able to push the rest of my 9 pound 11 oz baby boy out!  Yes, 9 pounds, 11 ounces.  I could not believe my ears.  But he was a beauty, and a joy to finally see after waiting so patiently for him to arrive. 

The Aftermath (7 days later)
Here I am, 7 days later, to give an update.  I have felt as though I cannot get a grip on my emotions.  With Braxton, I had a really hard time nursing.  More so, the choice to move on from nursing and bottle feed.  Yes, bottle feed.  I feel like its a bad word or something.  But nonetheless, we did it, and he is a happy healthy toddler today.  So I expected to have difficulties with the second child.  And I did.  Each day, has been a challenge in some way.  I love being a mom, but I feel as though I have had a hard time, "enjoying" the little moments.  Nursing Merrick has been yet another challenge, and I think the bigger challege this time for me, has been enjoying it, and looking forward to it.  Currently, I feel sometimes I dread it, because I keep thinking, "Will I fail??"  "Is it going to work this time?" "Is he getting enough?" His first checkup a few days ago, he had already dropped 1 1/2 pounds.  NOT something I wanted to hear AGAIN.  He was underweight.  So the next 24 hours were spent meeting with lactaction specialists, bawling my eyes out, not getting any sleep, and still struggling.  Currently we are doing it!  Nursing that is, with the help of a nipple shield.  And I am trying so hard to love it.  Any advice?  This is a whole new world for me.  The thought of going out into public freaks me out, "how will I nurse!?!?"  With Braxton, I could go anywhere, and knew that I didn't have to worry about bringing something to "cover up."  That alone, was a huge relief.  So, experienced mothers, how do I overcome that fear?  How do I transition from something that seemed so convenient, to something that maybe isn't as convenient, but overall better for my son?  And emotionally, how do I cope? 
Each day gets better, and today by far has been the best day.  I am so grateful for all the support I have both family and friends.  I could not do it without you.  I will be thanking you over and over again.  And especially the support of my loving husband.  I feel I love him even more.  When I had a baby shower for Braxton, everyone wrote down advice for me, most of which consisted of "sleep when the baby sleeps" "take time for you" "enjoy the little things" till I came to one piece of advice that said, "Love Ricky."  I thought it was weird advice at first, but I realize especially now, how important loving my husband is, through all the trials, struggles, and emotional breakdowns I have had.  He is my rock. 
Now, enjoy the photos, sorry there are not any of me, I am sure after reading this post, you may understand why:)






















8 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! He is way too adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brynn those pictures are adorable! Some day we'll get up there to see this cute little guy. As far as nursing, I'm not going to be much help. Kaitlynn took to it easily. Just remember that most people don't think much of a woman nursing in public, esp. in hippy Moscow! It definately took some adjusting, but it was nice to not have to worry about packing a bottle and such. I'm sure you've got a cover. If you don't like it, maybe make one that goes all the way around, yes like a tent, so you don't have to worry about showing on any sides. Just do your best that's all that can be asked of you and don't feel like a failure if you can't keep going. Sometimes other things come ahead of it. Another nice perk to nursing is it is so much cheaper! I know that some people don't like nursing in public so they pump before they go out and nurse at home. Depending on the baby, they can go back and forth like that. Good luck girl! How exciting to have a new baby in the home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand not wanting to be in the pic's.
    You also have to remember it's only been a week Brynn.
    I feel like crap and am an emotional wreck for the first two weeks, then I start calming down a bit.
    I don't leave the house much in the babies first 6 weeks to give them a fighting chance at life and bugs, to tell the truth I don't feel like leaving too much with the baby in that first 6 weeks anyway.
    So Dru will look after them while I take off to the grocery store or where ever. Sometimes those are the best times for me, a few minutes on my own to feel human for a while.
    Breast feeding is best.
    When I had Masaru I had a nipple shield and it ended up working out great.
    Try to be patient with it and push your way through it.
    Breast feeding is tough for me. I feel trapped in a way and resent others 'freedom' they have. It's a tough emotional battle for me.
    You have to weigh it up in the end and see if the battle is worth the breast feeding.
    If you can hold out as long as possible it'll be so good for baby, but if it's not working out then have a good cry and change to bottle and move past it.
    Great pic's.
    He's MASSIVE LOL I can't believe it.
    Maybe you next one will be a 10 pounder!! That'd be amazing.
    You're amazing.
    Good luck Brynn.
    Keep us posted with how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so dang cute Brynn! Way to go. He is a big guy to push out. Nursing is really hard! I struggled with it a lot too and looking back I was just being paranoid and stressing out way too much about it. I just kept making little goals like I will keep nursing for two weeks and then go from there. Then I would say one more week, one more week. I think at like 6 weeks was when I realized I could do it and it was the turning point for me when I just decided I was going to nurse and it became easier. I know it is hard not to stress about if he is getting enough. I always did, and I did not have very much milk. So if he was really fussy and not eating that well. I would supplement with formula or a bottle that I had pumped earlier. It just depends on your baby though. It is hard to get used to doing in public. Luckily we have garments so our stomachs don't show. You really don't have to nurse around people if you don't want to. At church there is the mothers lounge. If I was running errands I would go to the car. If I was at someones house you can ask if you can go to another room. My mom didn't nurse and no one in my family had ever experienced it before so I was really scared about their reactions but it was not as big a deal as I thought it was. Just hang in there. But if it is really making you unhappy then do what is best for you. Because if you are unhappy your baby will be too. Anyways, that just my opinion. I hope it helps! Please let me know if you need anything. Clark would love to play with Braxton if you need a break. I can also take that beautiful baby for half an hour while you go to the store or something. Please don't hesitate to call...I would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love him so much already....YOU ARE A ROCK STAR...I know you can do it! Love you BB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Brynn! I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with nursing and such. It's hard and both my babies lost weight in the first few weeks because I just couldn't get the hang of it. They were SO sleepy because they were almost premature so they didn't want to eat and when I got them to eat they would take 5 sucks and fall asleep again, very frustrating. But you can do it! If you eventually have to use the bottle don't worry. Honestly if it works better for you, go for it. I know a ton of healthy and smart kids that were bottle fed. Again, congrats and wow, I can't believe how big he is!! My babies don't get that close to 10 pounds till they are 2 months! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He beat Carson by an ounce! Carson was 9lbs 10oz. I love big babies! I love that picture of his little fuzzy hairs! You did a great job with your photography, especially after enduring labor! As for breastfeeding... I have mixed feelings about it. I decided that I wasn't going to nurse Gwen. I didn't have any troubles nursing my boys but I just couldn't handle the emotional/hormonal part of it. My post partum depression was just too much. And bottle feeding has been the best thing! I feel so much better already and like Milz said, I don't feel that resentment of being tied down. It's been the best decision for ME and THIS baby. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's up to you and it's not the end of the world if you don't breastfeed. Either way, Merrick will still grow up to be strong and healthy and happy. It took me a while to accept that fact. Hang in there! It's a transitional time but it'll become second nature soon enough!

    ReplyDelete